Monday, February 3, 2014

The Moses bird

At the edges of the river and ponds a lovely Great Egret stands. This bird is the symbol of the Audubon society, and in the nineteenth century it became almost extinct because it's plumes were used in women's fashions. They became a protected bird and so now they are plentiful. It lurks quietly and catches fish by spearing them with it's long sharp beak. A friend called these birds Moses birds because they were always standing before the water, reminding her of Moses standing before the Red Sea. The white reminded her of Jesus, but there is only one Jesus in his white apparel, and he is not a bird or an angel; he is God the Son. We do not worship the creation, but we do worship the Creator who made this lovely bird for us to enjoy.


The Egret is so perfect for it's environment. Just look at his big feet for wading in the mud. Tiny feet may get stuck in the mud, but not these wide pitchfork toes.

Psa 40:1  To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. 
Psa 40:2  He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. 
Psa 40:3  And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. 
Psa 40:4  Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies. 
Psa 40:5  Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. 


He watches for fish motionless his white making him invisible against the bright sky. His neck is coiled like a snake, ready to spring forward.

Mar 13:35  Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: 
Mar 13:36  Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. 
Mar 13:37  And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch. 


I watched as he thrust his spear beak in the water.


 These birds do not let you get close to them. I was fifty yards from it behind a tree. I wanted a closer view so I moved to thirty yards from him behind another tree, but it was too close. Effortlessly the enormous fan like wings lift it into the air. For such a large bird it just lifted into the air from a dead start, with feet straight behind him.

Exo 19:4  Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. 


He glides across the river, perhaps saying a prayer? Thank you LORD for making me so special.

Ch 29:11  Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all. 
1Ch 29:12  Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. 
1Ch 29:13  Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name. 



No comments: