Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Feet


An artist has painted a picture of Jesus washing a disciples feet. At first Peter refused to have Jesus serve him in this lowly way. But, it was an important lesson for him and for those who would follow Jesus as their master. The example was to show them that they were to be servants. I also see the foot washing as being symbolic of our need to be washed daily in the water of the word of God and in our asking for forgiveness for any new sins.

John13:7  Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. 
John13:8  Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. 
John13:9  Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. 
John13:10  Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. 
Joh 13:11  For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean. 
John13:12  So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? 
Joh 13:13  Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. 
John13:14  If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 
John13:15  For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. 

1Jn 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 


A dear elderly widow has a pair of new shoes. They are very bright and colorful. She had worked in our church garden faithfully even in the hot summer sun. This was a way to serve that she enjoyed. Later on she suffered a small stroke and spent some time in a convalescent home, but now she is back in church. A mother of the church with a heart of gold.

Tit 2:3  The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 
Tit 2:4  That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 
Tit 2:5  To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. 


This may sound foolish but I was praying in the darkness of the church sanctuary and I saw two spots of lights  at the back of the room coming from the sky light. In the dark I stood in these beams of light as an example of the word of God speaking of walking in the light.

Psa 56:10  In God will I praise his word: in the LORD will I praise his word. 
Psa 56:11  In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me. 
Psa 56:12  Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee. 
Psa 56:13  For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?

Psa 119:105  Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. 

John 8:12  Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. 

1Jn 1:7  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 

Rom 10:15  And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 


No comments: