Saturday, February 1, 2014

Chasing the sunset


There were only a few clouds that reflected the warm rays of the setting sun. I drove west in my car to find a place with no wires to get a picture of the sunset. I remembered chasing the sunset when I first moved north  in the early 1970's. I was living in a small cabin rental in the midst of the oaks and manzanitas.  Color slide pictures were taken then and when the sunset was glorious I would take my 35mm camera and run looking for a tree to silouette against the sunset. One such picture was called the black oak sunset and was used in the camera club competition. I found the sunset last night against a few slender trees near the highway.

Pro 16:17  The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul. 
Pro 16:18  Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. 
Pro 16:19  Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. 


Near the highway is the train tracks. My photography business was next to the train tracts in the center of the old town. The train used to stop in town in the early days of California, but now the trains pass through. The train cars would pass by my store window and sometimes I would watch them. They were covered with gang graffiti. There is little respect; I remember in the 70's that the hippies would throw rocks at the new cars brought in on the trains. They were against materialistic America. This spirit is still out to destroy our nation, throwing rocks at our laws and the constitution. We look to Jesus. He is coming, make his way straight.

Isa 40:3  The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. 
Isa 40:4  Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: 
Isa 40:5  And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. 


We have a nice Senior Citizen hall. Each friday morning my wife meets there with a crochet group. There is a small country western music band that plays their guitars singing old songs. These are old guys too, getting together loving to play music even if their are few to hear them.  Often I will listen to their music while reading the Bible or the newspaper. At the end of each song muffled applause follows and the rapping of my coffee cup on the table. A little encouragement is good. As we were leaving the center I noticed the trees blooming, the blossoms do not last very long, but I had left my camera at home.
These trees were on my mind as I parked my car at the senior center in the dim light, I wanted a picture of these trees. 

Jer 6:16  Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein. 



The light was dim, but it was soft. At home I was able to bring out the features of this lovely tree of early spring. We must capture the glory of God when it comes in his creation. The creation glorifies the Lord and so must we. Forget the evil news and let us focus on the goodness of our LORD. Let us praise God with continuous prayer.

Rom 15:4  For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. 
Rom 15:5  Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: 
Rom 15:6  That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

No comments: