Sunday, February 16, 2014

Personal names


Saturday in the last light I caught Randy the goose flapping his good wing in the cold breeze. The ducks around him are already sleeping. I know Randy who has been at the park for three years.

Gen1:26  And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Gen 2:19  And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
Gen 2:20  And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Adam was given dominion over all living things. He was as their benevolent protector. He gave them names and I think he also gave them special names. I remember my father in retirement living again on a ranch after leaving his ranch in Arkansas in 1938. He loved to farm and garden. His cattle were not just cattle and his cows were not just cows; he gave them each a special name. I like knowing that in Jesus we are not just a man or woman, but he knows us by name. He is our good shepherd, we know his voice and we follow him.  He even has a new name for us.

Rev 3:12  Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

No comments: