Friday, August 30, 2013

Strange Worship

  
Some music that is supposed to be for worship just does not move me. I must examine my own heart and seek to be in tune with it. When reading in the book of Amos I found that God is not always pleased with man's form of worship. Is God pleased with our worship? Is it from the heart? Just because worship is loud, doesn't mean that it is spiritual. The prophets of Baal screamed and danced around to their dumb idol. God speaks to us with a still small voice.

Amo 4:4  Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years:
Amo 4:5  And offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving with leaven, and proclaim and publish the free offerings: for this liketh you, O ye children of Israel, saith the Lord GOD.
Amo 4:6  And I also have given you cleanness of teeth in all your cities, and want of bread in all your places: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD.


Let me explain this as I see it. Israel was worshipping in temples that God did not approve of. They worshipped the Golden calf idol. They offered leaven, which is sin and free offerings for this liketh you. The key words are "this liketh you". You are enjoying yourself worshiping and singing, but it is not to me. God is not glorified in this, he is not honored or impressed. When I hear worldly music entering the church, I wonder if the LORD is pleased?

 I also give you cleanness of teeth, which means he gave them a famine to draw them back to him; no food to stain their teeth.
Music and worship are to be in spirit and in truth. Not some false "feel good emotional spirit to another god of our making."  God expects worship to glorify him. Is the music Biblical? Does it glorify the LORD or  self? Pray about what is to be the worship. Is it true? Is it Spiritual? Is it a solo performance or for all to sing? These are my thoughts. It appears to me that many of the church do not really know what they believe. They could easily be led away, like the new age movement, because they do not know God's word and do not know the Lord.

Joh 4:23  But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh 4:24  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.


Let us prepare our hearts for worship and pray that it pleases the LORD.

No comments: