Sunday, August 11, 2013

Long Life


I do not usually open mail before I do my  journal. I put thoughts together the night before  and in the morning the LORD helps me put them together. This morning a friend's letter contained a thought; "We Only Have Today." We cannot be sure about being alive on earth tomorrow. We do have scriptures that speak of a prolonged life. It would be useful to know them.
 
Deu 5:16  Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
 
I loved my parents and when I was about to die of cancer at age twenty, they received the Lord after I did,  and we were baptized together. That was in 1959.
 
Psa 90:10  The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
 
A normal life span is 70. I have Christian friends who minister in their 80's and 90's by the grace of God.

Psa 91:14  Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
Psa 91:15  He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
Psa 91:16  With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.
 
Life is prolonged for those who trust the LORD, but some are called home early. The LORD is LORD of our days, he decides. We are not to be bitter or lose faith if a loved one dies. Rejoice if they are with the LORD.
 
Pro 3:1  My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
Pro 3:2  For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
 
Length of days and eternal life are the reward for believing and following the LORD unto salvation in Jesus Christ.
 
Lev 19:32  Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the LORD.


So when you see someone with gray or white hair, praise the Lord, it may be you or me! 

No comments: