Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Poorest Offering

 
Lev 5:11  But if he be not able to bring two turtledoves, or two young pigeons, then he that sinned shall bring for his offering the tenth part of an ephah of fine flour for a sin offering; he shall put no oil upon it, neither shall he put any frankincense thereon: for it is a sin offering.
Lev 5:12  Then shall he bring it to the priest, and the priest shall take his handful of it, even a memorial thereof, and burn it on the altar, according to the offerings made by fire unto the LORD: it is a sin offering.
Lev 5:13  And the priest shall make an atonement for him as touching his sin that he hath sinned in one of these, and it shall be forgiven him: and the remnant shall be the priest's, as a meat offering.
 

Under the law, he that hath sinned and was very poor, shall bring for his offering the tenth part of an ephah of fine flour for a sin offering.
 
Exo 16:36  Now an omer is the tenth part of an ephah.
 
An omer was as much a man can eat in one day. I was thinking about this and remembered how Cain was so angry that his vegetables were not accepted as an offering. I see God's grace in allowing fine flour to be given as a sin offering. Even the poorest of the poor should have flour. I am reminded of the poor widow and her son who gave of her last flour and oil to a hungry Elijah. From this simple act of faith God provided her with flour and oil until the drought was over.

1Ki 17:14  For thus saith the LORD God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the LORD sendeth rain upon the earth.
1Ki 17:15  And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days.
1Ki 17:16  And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah.

Mat 6:11  Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
 
We no longer must we offer a sin offering, because Jesus was our sin offering, however we should give to the needs of others. 
 
Mat 25:34  Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36  Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.


We are the children of the King; can we give of the poorest offering?


No comments: