Thursday, January 23, 2014

Bland


I made a loaf of bread today from a familiar recipe. I knew the ingredients by heart. It sometimes takes many hours for bread to rise and be ready to bake in the oven. It came out piping hot and lovely. I sliced a piece from the end, tasted it, and then I realized that I had left out the salt. The bread was good, but bland and pasty to taste. It had lost it's savor.

Mat 5:13  Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. 

How do we lose our salt as a Christian? Some thoughts on this; by our bad testimony and willful sins we bring shame to the faith. Often we are fearful and do not speak when we should. Still another thought is we speak but not from God's inspired word. Or when we share the word,  we are dull and lacking the conviction of the Holy Spirit in what we say. The word is alive, so we should be alive when we share it. Speak boldly, with zeal.

Eph 6:18  Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; 
Eph 6:19  And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, 
Eph 6:20  For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. 

No comments: