Sunday, January 12, 2014

A time for rest


The tree is planted near the water waiting for new life in the spring. We too must be planted near the water of the word. There is a time for rest and a time for growth. The water keeps the tree alive as the water of God's word keeps us alive in the Spirit. It is a time of rest for the winter tree. We also need our times of rest, rooted in God's word.

Friday night the clothes dryer motor went out.  After a great deal of searching for a replacement, I can say that a new dryer will be delivered on Monday. The old dryer performed well for ten years with no problems. Some of us push ourselves to do things of ministry and sometimes we are like that dryer or tree, exhausted, no leaves needing rest before our heart's motor says ... no more.  Life requires purpose and also times of rest. A friend likes to remind me that Saturday is the Sabbath day of rest and yet we need rest every day. Most Christians say Sunday is our day for meeting together and yet even Sunday is a day of ministry work. We need our rest. I need rest. We must have our times of rest. We rest in Jesus and he makes us alive again.

Mat 11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
Mat 11:29  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 
Mat 11:30  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. 



No comments: