Monday, June 3, 2013

Strength through faith


My folks retired and moved from the suburbs in Southern California to a 10 acre farm in Northern California. I remember how fearful my mom was of this move, but my dad was right at home. He was forced to leave a farm in Arkansas during the depression. He and his brother ran the farm that included a herd of  prize Jersey cattle. They had to quit school when their father died. My father only went through the fifth grade. His sister lived in Lancaster, a hot area in Southern California and she assured my dad that there was plenty of work out there. He loaded up his belongings with his wife and two kids and made the move. When he  arrived in a hot area of California where his sister lived, there was nothing but hard labor. He bucked hay and my mom cooked for 20 ranch hands and they lived in a chicken coup.  He found a job in a better climate in Ventura County as a nursery tree pruner and caregiver. The Bible calls this in the KJV, a husbandman. My father was a very hard worker and a good husband. I was born about this time. My father had various jobs but worked and saved money owned a home and when he retired he left all to move north. It was like returning home to my father. He raised cattle and had many fruit trees and a large garden. My mother was always cooking good things. They would come to visit and bring all kinds of produce to their children who had also moved north. My mom was not very big, but a hard worker. My dad was a big strong man and she always depended on him who could do anything. Old age came and my father was the first to get dementia, he no longer recognized his family, but he remembered some of his past. Mom cared for him, was given strength that she never had before. Strength in her and wisdom from God. The LORD was with them and they survived another five years until she died. Even though my dad did not know us, he had a smile and when we would take him to church and he heard the hymns , tears would come from his heart. They are both with the Lord now and we have lots of good memories of them.  Changes will come to us all, but God will be our strength so do not fear. He promises to be with us always.

2Co 12:9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2Co 12:10  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.


This part I wrote last night... When I see preachers on the TV using their talents to convince others to give money, using smooth words and deception I see that they have stepped out of God's anointing. Some anointed men of God are following the Spirit, powered by God to do his work. But there is a danger with success and prominence to step away from God and to do a ministry in the "self" abilities. This happened to Moses, a servant who was known by God and who spoke face to face with him . In a moment of anger he disobeyed God's will by striking the rock twice, instead of speaking to it. God still honored Moses by sending forth water to feed his people, but this kept Moses from entering into the promise land.

Two men of faith believed God and obeyed him; Joshua and Caleb. These two went into the promise land. The promise land is a picture of God's coming kingdom. You can only get there through faith. Faith in Jesus, the rock that was stricken once for our sins.

In my personal life I sometimes feel fear when new challenges come my way. God knows our circumstances and he will give us his strength and wisdom. I trust in him and he is my strength. He gives  me the strength to serve him, but not to serve my  own pride. Too many are motivated by self, pride, power, being important, no, we are to lose ourselves in Christ Jesus. He is to work in us and through us, his good pleasure. He is our strength and he cares for us always. Do not fear.

1 comment:

Cheri0 said...

BLeSSED be the name of the lORD!
Praise GOD we do NOT have to make it thru this life alone!!
We as our "Fathers" before us, make it thru not by might, nor power, but BY the SPIRIT of the lIVING GOD!!