Sunday, June 9, 2013

Facing Situations


Jesus as the son of man submitted to the will of God the Father. It was time for his betrayal and crucifixion for our sins. Jesus was in complete control of the situation.
 
John 18:3  Judas then, having received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons.
John 18:4  Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?
John 18:5  They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
John 18:6  As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
John 18:7  Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.
John 18:8  Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way:
John 18:9  That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.
John 18:10  Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.
John 18:11  Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

I wish to point out two things among many lessons from this scripture. First, Jesus could have escaped any crowd of angry people, he had done it before. When he read openly from the scriptures that he was the fulfillment of Isa 60:1-3, they sought to kill him then.
 
Luk 4:28  And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath,
Luk 4:29  And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong. 
Luk 4:30  But he passing through the midst of them went his way,
 
Jesus spoke to the band of men and Judas who came to take him captive, " who seek ye?" Jesus of Nazareth, "I am he".  As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. Jesus is the great "I AM."  By the power of his name they fell backward to the ground. They could have laid there on the ground all night, but Jesus spoke to them  and they stood again. Jesus is in control, remember that when you are in a bad situation.
 
The second point I wish to mention is that Jesus knew it was the time for his death and resurrection. He submitted to the will of the Father. When Peter tried to defend Jesus again, he told Peter to put up the sword. Peter was always reacting to things in his own mind, before seeking the will of Jesus. Earlier he had said to Jesus that he would not allow him to be taken captive and crucified. This was a man's point of view, but Jesus rebuked him.
 
Mat 16:23  But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
Mat 16:24  Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Mat 16:25  For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.


Again, Peter attempted to prevent Jesus from being taken captive and to be killed, he drew his sword and cut off the ear of the servant of the high priest. Being a servant of the high priest he could not hear the truth anyway, but Jesus healed the ear. (Luke 22:51) Many are not able to hear the truth. As a Christian we are to hear the truth of God and to do his will, not our own will or the will of a wicked leader. A human response, often is more the will of satan, than of the Lord. Jesus spoke to Peter, " Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it? " Peter again, was not in the will of God. It was that time that Jesus must suffer and die for our sins, so that we might receive his grace and mercy. God is in control, we just need to hear him and submit to him. His way is the best way for each of us. He loves us and gave his only begotten son to die in our place for our sins. Can we not live for him? Our first and best response to any situation is to seek the will of God. Pray, trust and obey and his will be done. May Jesus be glorified in and through us.  

No comments: