Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I AM



Exo 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
Exo 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

I like how the New Living Translation says it.

Exo 3:13 But Moses protested, "If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, 'The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,' they won't believe me. They will ask, 'Which god are you talking about? What is his name?' Then what should I tell them?"
14 God replied, "I AM THE ONE WHO ALWAYS IS. Just tell them, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
15 God also said, "Tell them, 'The LORD, the God of your ancestors -- the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob -- has sent me to you.' This will be my name forever; it has always been my name, and it will be used throughout all generations.

This explains his name Jehovah, and signifies, 1. That he is self-existent: he has his being of himself. 2. That he is eternal and unchangeable, and always the same, yesterday, to-day, and for ever. 3. That he is incomprehensible; we cannot by searching find him out: this name checks all bold and curious inquiries concerning God. 4. That he is faithful and true to all his promises, unchangeable in his word as well as in his nature; let Israel know this, I AM hath sent me unto you. I am, and there is none else besides me. (Matthew Henry)


John 8:58  Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. 

Job 19:25  For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: 

I know when this body dies that I live in the I AM, my redeemer.



No comments: