Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Touch me not


I remember in my mother's garden a flower that was called Touch me not or Impatiens. The flower got it's name from it's seed pods that when dried would explode to the touch, sending the seeds out as projectiles.

John 20:15  Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away. 
John 20:16  Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. 
John 20:17  Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God. 
John 20:18  Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

I doubt if anyone completely understands this section of scripture. The resurrected Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene, the Mary from which  he had cast out seven demons. At first she did not recognize him, but he called her by name; Mary. One commentator said that she knew the voice of the Shepherd and that when we are in heaven we will see again our loved ones and hear their voices. She called him master and apparently she fell to his feet and clung to him. He said, touch me not for I am not yet ascended to my Father (he will not yet leave.) Mary was to deliver the good seed of his word to the disciples. Jesus still calls his disciples brethren, identifying with them. He also shares that they have the same heavenly Father and God. "I ascend unto my Father and your Father; and unto my God and your God." Mary, the first evangelist of his resurrection came to the disciples and shared the good news.

Jesus was touchable in a real body, not as a spirit. Later he came and asked his disciples to see and to touch his wounds as proof of his resurrection.  We are blessed to believe the good news that Jesus has overcome death with eternal life. We need not touch his physical body to believe him. He said to us, blessed are those who not seeing believe in him. 

John 20:29  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. 

We see him now by faith and touch him by prayers and worship.



No comments: