Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Before Abraham, I Am


There is the expression "seeing is believing."  But that is not necessarily so. To see the things of God we need his spiritual eyes. To hear his word we need his spirit. Living by faith in the word of God is better than living with our natural understanding. Blessed are you if you can see and hear the truth and respond to it by faith.

John 8:54  Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 
John 8:55  Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying. 
John 8:56  Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. 
John 8:57  Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 
John 8:58  Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. 

The Son of God existed before Abraham. He spoke to Moses in the burning bush as the "I AM."

John 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 

John 1:14  And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. 

By faith Abraham saw the Messiah, Jesus. 

(Abraham) saw it and was glad; he saw it with an eye of faith, he saw it in the promise, that in his seed all the nations of the earth should be blessed; and when it was promised him he should have a son, which was the beginning of the fulfilment of the other, he laughed, and therefore his son was called Isaac, to which some reference is here made; he saw him in the birth of his son Isaac and rejoiced, and therefore called his name Isaac, that is, "laughter": he saw also Christ and his day, his sufferings, death, and resurrection from the dead, in a figure; in the binding of Isaac, in the sacrifice of the ram, and in the receiving of Isaac, as from the dead; and he not only saw the Messiah in his type Melchizedek, and who some think was the Son of God himself, but he saw the second person, the promised Messiah, in an human form, Gen_18:2; and all this was matter of joy and gladness to him. (John Gill)

We must see Jesus by faith. Many who saw him as a man, could not see him as he was "the Son of God." Many now see him by faith.

John 8:42  Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. 
John 8:43  Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 

Do you see who Jesus is? 



No comments: