Saturday, October 26, 2013

Seven lamps


In my walk, I saw this Mullen plant with seven branches, reminding me of the lamp stand with seven lamps used in the temple in Jerusalem. Zechariah the priest was given a vision concerning this holy item to be used in the rebuilt temple.

Zec 4:1  And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep,
Zec 4:2  And said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof:

The lamps were to represent the light of God. Seven is the number of completeness. Seven is the number of Jesus, the light of the world. Some refer to the lamps as the perfect eyes of God, seeing all things. Another thought would be the seven spirits, the fullness of the Holy Spirit as described in Isaiah.


Isa 11:2  And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD; 

Zec 4:3  And two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof.

The two olive trees supplied the oil for the lamps. Oil is the symbol of the Holy Spirit. The two Olive trees may refer to two witnesses. The word of God and the Spirit of God go together. Two witnesses were required to establish a truth, in the law. The law and the prophets could be the two witnesses in the two witnesses in Revelations. Were these two witnesses Moses and Elijah?

Rev 11:3  And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. 

Rev 11:4  These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth. 

Zec 4:4  So I answered and spake to the angel that talked with me, saying, What are these, my lord?
Zec 4:5  Then the angel that talked with me answered and said unto me, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.
Zec 4:6  Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

This is often quoted, but not in context. The rebuilding of the walls and the temple in Jerusalem would take more than the unity and might of men. There was the power of the King Cyrus' decree by the will of God allowing the rebuilding; Cyrus was given that power by God. Facing many obstacles, they must rely on the power of God, the Spirit of God to finish the work of God. We can apply this to our own walk in the Spirit. It is by God's Spirit that we have success in accomplishing his work, our strength is made complete in God. Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

No comments: