Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pray for all men


1Ti 2:1  I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 
1Ti 2:2  For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 
1Ti 2:3  For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 
1Ti 2:4  Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 
1Ti 2:5  For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 
1Ti 2:6  Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. 

One may ask why it is that we are to pray for all people? Jesus didn't pray for all people did he?

John 17:6  I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 
John 17:7  Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 
John 17:8  For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. 
John 17:9  I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. 
John 17:10  And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. 
John 17:11  And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. 

Jesus prayed for those who had a covenant relationship with him. Why are we to pray for all men? The answer is in verse two:  that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. If we were to sow hate we would receive hate in return. Have you heard of hate crimes? Whatever that may be, we are to be harmless children of God. We are to pray for the souls of all people to be saved from the wrath to come. We give out love, peace and goodness, so that we may live in God's peace and that others will become the adopted children of God. This is the will of God for us.


No comments: