Sunday, March 3, 2013

Which is it?



Many are casual hearers of God's word. Sometimes they will take a passage of the Bible and make it to say more than intended. Another passage may seem to be saying the opposite. I would like to compare two Bible passages that seem to come to different conclusions.

Mar 9:38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
Mar 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
Mar 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.


Compare to this:

Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Mat 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
Mat 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
Mat 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 

Mat 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

In the first story we are told not to judge someone if they are doing good works in the name of Jesus. They will not soon, or immediately turn against Jesus. I see the first example as to not prevent someone that is not of our group, if they do good in Jesus name. Some denominations preach against other denominations instead of leaving them alone, letting them do good in the name of Jesus.

However in the Matthew scriptures, not all who once served Jesus saying Lord, Lord we have done good works and miracles in your name, will be accepted by him. Perhaps their foundation was not secure on the rock that is Christ and they fell away because they did it all in their own will? We do not judge before the time, but some who think they are special will be rejected, perhaps even a well known TV evangelist with a great audience? God knows who are truly his; He knows them.

My advice is to keep the focus on Jesus and not our differences. The world teaches tolerance and self esteem. Many large churches preach the same thing, but do it in a positive way focusing on Jesus. Another church will preach on sin and hell, warning people of the coming judgment. Jesus is given as the answer to the problem of sin. I believe that we need a balance , but I am not to condemn another minister for not preaching like I would. If good comes from it and they point to Jesus , leave them alone. If they are in truth, Jesus will receive them. If they were making up things by their own will, then at the judgment Jesus may say, I never knew you, depart from me. We are not to "bash" other servants of God, but we are to examine ourselves to be sure that we are in the will of God. Too many think they are serving God by destroying the name of another person. We can correct false teaching in our own group, but if someone is doing good in Jesus name who has different ways, leave them alone. Protestants differ from Catholics in many beliefs, but both may be doing good standing up for Biblical morality in a decaying society in the name of Jesus. The focus should be on Jesus and good works through his name and power, not on our differences to a nation needing Jesus. Let each man choose, but may he choose Jesus. Another example is that God loves Israel and so should we. In time they too will receive their Messiah.

Psa 26:2 Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.
Psa 26:3 For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth.

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
2Co 13:6 But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.
2Co 13:7 Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be (appear to you) as reprobates. 
2Co 13:8 For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.

 I try to show the Bible references to what I say. Truth is important to me. Jesus gave us His truth for us to share by the Holy Spirit. Jesus is the way to everlasting life. Do good in Jesus' name, amen. 

No comments: