Saturday, March 30, 2013

Thorns



The thorn of blending in with the heathen

Jdg 2:1 And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you.
Jdg 2:2 And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this?
 Jdg 2:3 Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you.

The people of Israel were told to destroy the altars and false idols, to kill and to drive out the heathen nations in their new promised land, but many of the tribes did not do this. It was a choice that they made, because God was with them to drive them out as a mighty wind would blow the autumn leaves, but they were not willing to do this. Because they took up with the heathen people, their women and their Gods, the LORD stopped helping them. He will not go before us if we are not separated unto him. We as God's people cannot expect the LORD to open doors for us, removing satanic forces if we are in the world, not separated unto him and content with the heathen idols.

A crown of thorns: Jesus took our curses to the cross

Mat 27:29 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!
Mat 27:30 And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head.
Mat 27:31 And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him
.

Thorns on the head, a mock crown that brought blood to heal our heads. His cursed thorns removed our curses. In Jesus we are blessed. Our thoughts are cleansed, our minds become the mind of Christ. Thank you Jesus for healing us by your wounds taken for our salvation and healing.

Paul's thorn in the flesh

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
2Co 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
2Co 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.


What was Paul's thorn? A messenger of satan, a fallen angel? A demon that buffeted him?
Some say it was bad eyes or a disease.

Strong's concordance definition for buffeted:

1) to strike with the fist, give one a blow with the fist
2) to maltreat, treat with violence and contumely.

It seems that the messenger of satan was able to inflict pain. I think perhaps it was the false Jews, those who were of the synagogue of satan, the religious people who tried to silence his message of grace by persecution. We too will experience persecution if we are separated unto Jesus Christ. Or are you one who will blend in with the world? Perhaps you will take the mark of the beast as well to escape persecution and hunger? I think not. If we suffer with Christ, his grace is sufficient for us. We are to stay separated, holy unto God through Jesus Christ. Our mind is to be renewed by reading and meditating on God's word with prayer. His grace goes with us and we are a blessed people. 

No comments: