Monday, March 25, 2013

Great man of faith



Caleb and Joshua were men of faith and courage. Caleb was of the tribe of Judah and Joshua was from the tribe of Ephraim, a son of Joseph. Jesus would come from the tribe of Judah and Joseph was a type of Jesus. These two princes of the 12 tribes believed God and came back from spying the promise land with a good report. The other 10 tribes were afraid; especially of the giants in the land, the sons of Anak. Forty five years have past and only Caleb and Joshua are left of all the adult men who left Egypt. Caleb is speaking to Joshua who is now the leader of Israel.
 
Josh 14:7  Forty years old was I when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadeshbarnea to espy out the land; and I brought him word again as it was in mine heart.
Josh 14:8  Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the LORD my God.
Josh 14:9  And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the LORD my God.
Josh 14:10  And now, behold, the LORD hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the LORD spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.
Josh 14:11  As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
Josh 14:12  Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.
Josh 14:13  And Joshua blessed him, and gave unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh Hebron for an inheritance.
 
Josh 15:13  And unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh he gave a part among the children of Judah, according to the commandment of the LORD to Joshua, even the city of Arba the father of Anak, which city is Hebron.
Josh 15:14  And Caleb drove thence the three sons of Anak, Sheshai, and Ahiman, and Talmai, the children of Anak.
 
What an example of faith is this man of courage. He held onto the promises of God and God gave him strength. His faith never wavered and in the end his people overcame the giants and received the promised inheritance.
 
We have a promised inheritance as joint heirs with Christ Jesus. We too are to have faith and continue until the promise is received. God will give us strength to overcome our natural and spiritual giants and we shall overcome them all. We are to be like Caleb an heir with Jesus by faith. Be of good courage. The grace of God will be with you all the way to the promise land.

No comments: