Friday, June 10, 2016

Loose Lips


Jdg 14:16  And Samson's wife wept before him, and said, Thou dost but hate me, and lovest me not: thou hast put forth a riddle unto the children of my people, and hast not told it me. And he said unto her, Behold, I have not told it my father nor my mother, and shall I tell it thee?
Jdg 14:17  And she wept before him the seven days, while their feast lasted: and it came to pass on the seventh day, that he told her, because she lay sore upon him: and she told the riddle to the children of her people.
Jdg 14:18  And the men of the city said unto him on the seventh day before the sun went down, What is sweeter than honey? and what is stronger than a lion? And he said unto them, If ye had not plowed with my heifer, ye had not found out my riddle.

Jdg 14:20  But Samson's wife was given to his companion, whom he had used as his friend.
 
The Philistines had overrun Israel and the LORD brought forth a child named Samson, a Nazarene. He wanted to marry a Philistine woman, his parents were opposed to marrying outside of God's covenant people. The LORD allowed this for his purpose. He was to help to deliver his people. 
 
One reason we are not to marry a person outside of God's covenant people is that they identify more with their own people. Samson's wife manipulated him with false tears so that she could tell the answer to his riddle to her people. There are people who cannot keep a secret, yes, even among God's covenant people. I suppose all of us have said things that should not have been said. There are some who will repeat anything they hear. If you want everyone to know a secret, just tell it to this person. A friend should not be saying to others things that were said in private.
 
Pro 27:6  Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
 
Pro 12:4  A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.




No comments: