Sunday, November 24, 2013

Small Favors

Luke 11:46  And he said, Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers. 

Last week I was in a supermarket and I saw a woman in pain trying to put a 24 pack of water in her cart. She had one hand that was all bandaged up and maybe in a cast; it hurt her to use it.  I went to help her; she was old, but not as old as I am and maybe she was self reliant, but it was time to ask for help. I placed the water in her cart and I counseled her to ask for help.  Most men would be glad to help her. Later, as I was leaving the store with a cart full of groceries I saw the lady again. A man was unscrewing a bottle for her to drink. I was glad to see that she would ask for help.

Tonight as I was leaving the college after our second concert I spotted a Christian lady, a horn player who was carrying her heavy horn case. I knew that she was having knee joint problems. I offered to carry her horn case to the car and she allowed me to do so. We chatted and talked about health problems and how it is best not to dwell on them, but to keep busy.  It may be some time before she will be able to have her knee joints replaced. We do our best while sharing the load with others and continuing in faith.


John 16:24  Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. 

No comments: