Monday, November 11, 2013

Simple truth


I believe that the simple things of life are most profound. Life is a gift nurtured by love. We are made to love God and one another. In the pursuit of "success" power or wealth, the simple things are often neglected, ignored or even walked on. When it is the final day what will you hang onto? Have you built a business only to see it decline? Have you had crusades like Billy Graham and in the final years see your nation in gross sin? Why look at the sin if you have people around you who love you and care for you? Isn't this the greatest success in life, and the eternal greatest thing is our love for God and his love for us.

2Ti 4:7  I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 

Paul was ready to die in Rome for the faith of Jesus Christ that he had faithfully proclaimed. He knew that he would receive a reward from Jesus for his service.

2Ti 4:8  Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. 

Paul, as a human at the end looked for the love and fellowship of friends.

2Ti 4:9  Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me: 
2Ti 4:10  For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia. 

He was saddened by those who had fallen away and friends who were far away. Also people who betrayed him like Alexander the coppersmith in verse 14.
In the end Paul had only a few who gave him the love and fellowship he needed.

2Ti 4:11  Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry. 
2Ti 4:12  And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus. 

Mark, who as a young man was rejected by Paul because he was not able to endure the hardness of ministry, now had become one of Paul's closest friends. It was faithful Luke and Mark who gave Paul love and fellowship at the end. Keep going, you may stumble along the way, but you are loved and God's love will carry you across the finish line.

No comments: