Friday, July 8, 2011

Israel my firstborn son

Hos 11:1 When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.

The Lord calls the nation of Israel, his son that he loved with tender affection. Moses was called to deliver Israel from Egyptian bondage.

Exo 4:22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:
Exo 4:23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

The LORD calls Israel his firstborn and gives Pharaoh a warning that he would slay his firstborn son if he did not let His people go. The death angel killed all the firstborn, even of the animals. Only those who applied the blood of a lamb around their entry doors were spared. The death angel passed over the homes of God'sfirstborn children. This is the Passover that the Jews remember and celebrate every year since. Does the LORD still call Israel his firstborn now that his only begotten son was born from the descendants of king David? Or was he calling Israel his firstborn because Jesus would come from them? Israel the nation is the firstborn son of God. Jesus the messiah is the only begotten son, the firstborn of a new spiritual creation.

Col 1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
Col 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Col 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Hos 11:2 As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images.

Moses and Aaron representing the law and the priesthood of Israel and also the prophets called Israel to repentance, but they would not hear them for they worshipped the gods of the nations around them. As I see our time, these things are still happening, idolatry and blindness to God's word. I do see how the Bible grows more and more holy and sacred as the evil increases in the land. I also see that often the church is caught up into entertainment and programs instead of the whole word of God.

Amo 8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

Hos 11:3 I taught Ephraim also to go, taking them by their arms; but they knew not that I healed them.
Hos 11:4 I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.

The LORD was good to Ephraim (Israel) , he healed them and blessed them with every need.

"Cords of man - With such kindness as best fits and most prevails with a man. I was to them - As a careful husband - man in due season takes the yoke from his labouring oxen, and takes off the muzzle with which they were kept from eating, when at work. I laid meat unto them - Brought them provision in their wants." (Wesley)

Hos 11:5 He shall not return into the land of Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be his king, because they refused to return.
Hos 11:6 And the sword shall abide on his cities, and shall consume his branches, and devour them, because of their own counsels.
Hos 11:7 And my people are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt him.

Assyria will come as punishment to a wicked and rebellious people. Although the prophets called the nation to God, they were hell bent on backsliding. They would be made slaves in foreign lands.

Hos 11:8 How shall I give thee up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver thee, Israel? how shall I make thee as Admah? how shall I set thee as Zeboim? mine heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together.

These were cities of Sodom that God had the angels to destroy by fire.

Gen 10:19 And the border of the Canaanites was from Sidon, as thou comest to Gerar, unto Gaza; as thou goest, unto Sodom, and Gomorrah, and Admah, and Zeboim, even unto Lasha.

Hos 11:9 I will not execute the fierceness of mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim: for I am God, and not man; the Holy One in the midst of thee: and I will not enter into the city.

God will not personally enter their city to chastise with anger this sinful people God does not dwell in sin.He will not destroy their cities, Instead he will send the Assyrians to do the work of capturing and looting them.

Hos 11:10 They shall walk after the LORD: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall tremble from the west.
Hos 11:11 They shall tremble as a bird out of Egypt, and as a dove out of the land of Assyria: and I will place them in their houses, saith the LORD.

This a prophecy looking to the return of Jesus. The roar of the Lion is the roar of the Lion of Judah. Those who hear him and come to him will be restored to their land.

Hos 11:12 Ephraim compasseth me about with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit: but Judah yet ruleth with God, and is faithful with the saints.

The southern tribe of Judah still served the LORD and were faithful with the saints. Sinful Israel, although in their sins would be redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. The promise of restoration is for Israel, in spite of the sin that they had.

Rom 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
Rom 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Returning to verse 11:1.

"When Israel was a child..."

Sometimes we grow older , but not wiser. Come back home to your heavenly father who loves you, you backsliders, come to Jesus your Messiah.

1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

We are not to be backslidden, rebellious sons of God. Come to Jesus, get to know him, face to face; as Moses knew God face to face. Grow in his grace, and study his word. If the LORD punished his rebellious firstborn son, Israel, will he not punish our sinful nation?

No comments: