Monday, August 17, 2020

The Betrayer


Mat 26:20  Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve. 
Mat 26:21  And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. 
Mat 26:22  And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I? 
Mat 26:23  And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me. 
Mat 26:24  The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. 
Mat 26:25  Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said. 

Satan came into Judas as he left the table to betray his friend.

The question I have is was Judas fore ordained to be the one who would betray the Messiah?  Jesus knew at the last supper that it was he who would betray him. Judas had already received 30 pieces of silver from the chief priests. He had gone to the chief priests after the anointing of Jesus by the woman with the alabaster box of ointment. He had complained that it was a waste of money. He was more interested in the money as he was the one who kept the money purse.

Mat 26:14  Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, 
Mat 26:15  And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver.

Later in his prayer to the Father, Jesus mentioned the son of perdition, the son of destruction: “the phrase denotes an abandoned character, one utterly lost and given over to evil.”

Joh 17:12  While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

A Psalm may have been a prophecy of his betrayal.

Psa 41:9  Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me. 

I do not believe that Judas was picked out of all men to be the betrayer. If he was made to betray the Christ, then he would not have had free will. How could God punish someone who had no choice? Did God know who would betray Jesus, yes, he knows all things.

If all the events of this time were moved to where we are at this time. Do you think that it would be hard to find someone to betray Jesus? It might be me or you, but we can look back and thank Jesus that it was not us knowing that our sins put him on the cross and that through him we can be forgiven. Could Judas have repented? He did repent, but he did so to the chief priests who cared nothing for his soul. They were as guilty as he was. Only Jesus can forgive our sins by the will of God, his Father.

No comments: