Monday, August 31, 2020

Resurrection Power


There is an amazing event that occurred just after Jesus died on the cross. It is only mentioned in the gospel of Matthew.


Mat 27:52  And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 
Mat 27:53  And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. 

A lot of graves in those days were caves in a mountain with cork shaped stones sealing them. The shaking of the earth may have opened the graves, or perhaps they were opened by an angel as was the case when Jesus' tomb stone was rolled away, after three days.  What I see in this resurrection is that Jesus did not need his flesh and blood body to raise the dead. He is God the Son, a Spirit with all power over life and death.

John 10:17  Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 
John 10:18  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. 

Jesus had already said to Martha whose brother Lazarus had died, that he is the resurrection and the life. 

John 11:25  Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 
John 11:26  And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? 

If you can only see Jesus as a human, you cannot see that he is the Son of God with power to raise the dead. Those risen were after the resurrection of Jesus, he raised them by his eternal power. Believe in Jesus as the eternal son of God who came to earth in a human to bleed and die as payment for our sins. Believe this and ask him to save you. He came to seek and to save that which was lost. 

A final thought. Those risen by the resurrection power of Jesus Christ may have been some of the Old Testament believers. Both Jacob and Joseph wanted their bones brought back to Israel. Maybe they were some of the resurrected first fruits? What is so amazing is that Jesus has power to bring life after death. The Bible also says that the Father and the Holy Spirit have power to raise the dead.The soul and spirit live forever. There is no use for corruptible bodies of dust that return to dust. The life is in the spirit and soul.  God will give us new bodies in his time.

Our rest home ministry piano playing friend, Chuck Thomas died yesterday. I miss him but know that he lives with Jesus. We shall be together in the sweet by and bye with instruments and singing. All glory to God forever.




No comments: