Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Psalm 62

Psa 62:1 To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David. Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.
Psa 62:2 He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.
Psa 62:3 How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence.
Psa 62:4 They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah.
Psa 62:5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
Psa 62:6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
Psa 62:7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
Psa 62:8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Psa 62:9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.
Psa 62:10 Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.
Psa 62:11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.
Psa 62:12 Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Psa 62:1 To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David. Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.


My soul waits in silence, hearing no other voice but that of God. He is the focus of my attention for there is none more worthy or greater than the LORD. Some seek entertainment or drink or their own thoughts when trouble comes. We shall wait upon the LORD who will save us from that which concerns us. He shall give us wisdom and direction and strength for the problems we face.

Isa 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Psa 62:2 He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.

The LORD only is my rock, He is strong and secure from all attacks of an enemy or circumstance; He is my defence for he watches from above and he knows all. He knows our future and his plans for us; I, it is personal, each one of us personally must trust in Him and not be worried or distressed. We do what He says and give all of our concerns to him. When it is time to act, he gives us the strength and faith to do His will for our lives.

Psa 62:3 How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence.

David had to run from Saul for many years. Saul had lost the anointed presence of God in his life and he wanted to kill David who had the anointing and who had been chosen of God to be king after him. Envy and jealousy are wicked spirits in a heart. These were in the hearts of those who plotted to kill Jesus. It is not the fault of David or Jesus, but the holy presence of God that brought enemies against them. David warns his opponents that they will be slain, all enemies of God's anointed shall perish as simply and easily as a rotted fence falls with the touch of man's hand. Jesus spoke to his disciples:

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
John 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

Psa 62:4 They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah.

Psa 12:2 They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.
Psa 12:3 The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:

James 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
James 3:11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?

Those of the flesh war against the Spirit in the child of God.

Gal 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
Gal 4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

Psa 62:5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.

We continue to wait upon the LORD. The world seeks a Saul, to lead them and they receive bondage. We wait upon the LORD and receive freedom. Men and women fail us, but God keeps his promises, he never fails. Build your house upon the Rock and trust in him for all things.

Psa 4:3 But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.
Psa 4:4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.
Psa 4:5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.


Psa 62:6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.

In verse 2, he says I shall not be greatly moved. Now he is more confident saying; I shall not be moved. Faith grows with use. Experience teaches us to trust more completely in the LORD and his promises. Those who fall away when problems come, do not mature as those who wait upon the LORD. With waiting comes trusting and our trust is on the solid rock. He is our defense and our salvation, we shall not be moved as the hymn we sing says:


We Shall Not Be Moved
(V. O. Fossett)

Glory hallelujah, I shall not be moved;
Anchored in Jehovah, I shall not be moved;
Just like a tree that's planted by the waters,
I shall not be moved.
I shall not be, I shall not be moved,
I shall not be, I shall not be moved;
Just like a tree that's planted by the waters,
I shall not be moved.

In his love abiding, I shall not be moved;
And in Him confiding, I shall not be moved; etc.

Tho all hell assail me, I shall not be moved;
Jesus will not fail me, I shall not be moved; etc.

Tho the tempest rages, I shall not be moved;
On the Rock of Ages, I shall not be moved; etc.


Psa 62:7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
My salvation, my glory, the rock of my strength and my refuge.

Psa 32:7 Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.

I like the hymns and Psalms, for they bring gladness to my heart.

Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Psa 62:8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

You can trust the LORD to understand. Pour out your heart to him, He is our refuge.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Psa 46:1 To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Psa 46:2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Psa 46:3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

Psa 62:9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.

Men of low degree use brute force and bad language to force their way upon others. The men of high degree may use lies and deceit to control others. All are lighter than empty vanity.

Psa 24:3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
Psa 24:4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
Psa 24:5 He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

Psa 62:10 Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.

Mat 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

Psa 37:16 A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked.

Psa 112:1 Praise ye the LORD. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.
Psa 112:2 His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed.
Psa 112:3 Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.

Psa 62:11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.

God does not have to speak twice. He speaks and it is so. He spoke and the worlds were made. He keeps his word. If we hear something twice, it is a confirmation to us. Some dream dreams, if it is God it is confirmed again and again. But let no dream contradict the word of God.

Heb 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
Heb 2:4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

Power belongs to God

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

John 19:10 Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?
John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Psa 62:12 Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

The power of God is with His mercy.

Mat 5:7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but
he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Mercy is defined as goodness, kindness, faithfulness. These are all attributes of our loving Father. Through His Son he gives something greater than mercy; he gives us grace.

Grace is defined as the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues

The grace of God through faith in Jesus, brings forgiveness of sins and adoption as sons of God.

Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Which brings us around to the beginning of the Psalm; rest in Him, wait upon Him, as children of the Most High God. He is your protector, our wisdom and our strength. Wait and listen; hear Him and hear him again, there is nothing more important for you to do. Fear not the powers of the crude or the clever, fear only God. He loves you and watches out for you.

No comments: