Monday, November 24, 2008

Hannah's Thanksgiving Song


1 Sam 1:26 And she said, Oh my lord, as thy soul liveth, my lord, I am the woman that stood by thee here, praying unto the LORD.
1 Sam 1:27 For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him:


Hannah had been unable to have children. Her husband had two wives and the one who had children made life miserable for Hannah. Hannah came to the Temple when it was in Shiloh and prayed for a son. She made a vow that if she had a son she would dedicate him to the Lord and she would not cut his hair, like Samson. The child was born and she cared for it until it was weaned and able to eat apart from the mother. She has brought the child to the temple where Eli was high priest. She is praying a prayer of dedication to the LORD from her heart.

1 Sam 1:28 Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.


He would always be her son, but Hannah lent him to the Lord for as long as he lived. Her beloved Samuel will be given to the Lord's service. You cannot out give the Lord. Many blessings will follow this gift, her vow would be fulfilled

1 Sam 2:1 And Hannah prayed, and said, My heart rejoiceth in the LORD, mine horn is exalted in the LORD: my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; because I rejoice in thy salvation.


My heart rejoices in the Lord. For many years she suffered, feeling worthless. The constant nagging of the adversary, the other wife, added to her distress. finally the Lord answered her prayer. It was the LORD who brought Samuel. She rejoices in fulfilling her vow to him. Her horn, her strength is exalted in the Lord. Her strength was from the Lord. Her speech is bold, her enemies take notice because she rejoiced in her salvation. We have much rejoicing to do because of our salvation, perhaps the unsaved will desire what we have?Compare this prayer with the prayer of Mary in Luke 1:46-55. Mary echos Hannah's prayer. Hannah at giving a son to the Lord and Mary who shall receive a son from the Lord.

Luke 1:46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
Luke 1:47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Luke 1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
Luke 1:49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.

1 Sam 2:2 There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.


Psa 18:2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psa 18:3 I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

1 Sam 2:3 Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.


Luke 1:52 He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.

Perhaps, Hannah is referring to her adversary, who arrogantly accused her, when she needed a friend. Satan is the accuser of the brethren, he is relentless in his quest to tear you down. If you are humbly dwelling in Christ, under the blood, he cannot succeed.

1 Sam 2:4 The bows of the mighty men are broken, and they that stumbled are girded with strength.
1 Sam 2:5 They that were full have hired out themselves for bread; and they that were hungry ceased: so that the barren hath born seven; and she that hath many children is waxed feeble.


The LORD has a way of turning things upside down to accomplish His will. He humbles the strong and exalts the weak who trust in him.

1 Cor 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1 Cor 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1 Cor 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

Jer 9:23 Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:
Jer 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

1 Sam 2:6 The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.


The Lord has power over life and death.

Luke 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
Luke 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

1 Sam 2:7 The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.
1 Sam 2:8 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the Lord's, and he hath set the world upon them.

Luke 1:52 He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.
Luke 1:53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.

1 Pet 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

1 Sam 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

1 Sam 2:9 He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.


2 Cor 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2 Cor 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
2 Cor 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

1 Sam 2:10 The adversaries of the LORD shall be broken to pieces; out of heaven shall he thunder upon them: the LORD shall judge the ends of the earth; and he shall give strength unto his king, and exalt the horn of his anointed.


Hannah spoke a prophecy of an anointed king, or Messiah in the Hebrew. There were as of this time no kings in Israel; but God was their king. The Messiah king would come from God. This is the first mention of a coming (anointed) Messiah in the Bible.

Psa 2:7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
Psa 2:8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
Psa 2:9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.

Rev 19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
Rev 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

Psa 22:3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

A thankful heart will be joined by God's Spirit of prophecy and grace.

Psa 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Rom 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

Amen

No comments: