Sunday, May 10, 2020

Deceitfully Blessed


Gen 27:32  His father Isaac said to him, “Who are you?” He answered, “I am your son, your firstborn, Esau.” 
Gen 27:33  Then Isaac trembled very violently and said, “Who was it then that hunted game and brought it to me, and I ate it all before you came, and I have blessed him? Yes, and he shall be blessed.” 
Gen 27:34  As soon as Esau heard the words of his father, he cried out with an exceedingly great and bitter cry and said to his father, “Bless me, even me also, O my father!” 
Gen 27:35  But he said, “Your brother came deceitfully, and he has taken away your blessing.” 
Gen 27:36  Esau said, “Is he not rightly named Jacob? For he has cheated me these two times. He took away my birthright, and behold, now he has taken away my blessing.” Then he said, “Have you not reserved a blessing for me?” 

Isaac's wife Rebecca had heard from the LORD concerning the two sons that were in her womb.

Gen 25:22  The children struggled together within her, and she said, “If it is thus, why is this happening to me?” So she went to inquire of the LORD. 
Gen 25:23  And the LORD said to her, “Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you shall be divided; the one shall be stronger than the other, the older shall serve the younger.” 

Rebecca loved Jacob more than Esau and she came up with a plan to trick her near blind husband into blessing Jacob as though he were the first born. Isaac loved Esau because he was a rugged hairy man of the earth. He loved the venison he brought to him. Esau had earlier given his birthright to Jacob in exchange for a bowl of red stew.  The tricking of Isaac to bless Jacob worked, but what were the consequences?  Would the LORD have made Jacob over Esau in another way? Yes, of course. By using trickery Jacob and Esau would become enemies. This would continue even to this day. Jacob became the nation Israel and Esau was the Father of the Arab nations.


No comments: