Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The family of Jesus


Mar 3:31  There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him.
Mar 3:32  And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.
Mar 3:33  And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren?
Mar 3:34  And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
Mar 3:35  For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.
 
Jesus is not rejecting his physical family, but he is showing that his spiritual family are closer than his natural family. The true family of Jesus are those who do God's will. Remember that to be in God's will we are to be sanctified unto him. Our walk is to be by choice, a spiritual walk with him. I like the old hymn, "In the Garden" that says " he walks with me and talks with me and tells me I am his own." We love the family of God because we love the Lord Jesus. We love God our Father and we love our brethren. Meeting together is to celebrate our relationship as adopted children of God. There is no mention of Jesus calling his natural birth mother as "mother". Some religious people refer to Mary as the mother of God. That elevates her beyond her position as a blessed chosen humble woman, chosen as the birth mother, and yet Jesus did not hesitate to call the mothers of faith who obey God as his true mothers, and faithful Mary is included as she obeyed God. This was for us to understand. In the church we have new brothers, sisters, mothers and yes even spiritual fathers of faith who are closer than our birth family that have not come to Jesus. We are to love our natural families, but we truly love and are one with God's spiritual family, that do his will.
 

John 13:34  A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
John 13:35  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. 


No comments: