Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Servant and Prophet



The story of Hannah is a beautiful story. She had not been able to bear a child and was being tormented by her husband's second wife. She vowed to the LORD that if she could bear a son that she would give him to the LORD as his servant. Samuel was born to Hannah and when he was weaned she brought him to the house of the LORD to be raised by the high priest who was named Eli. Eli had two son's who were priests in name only. They stole from the offerings and seduced the young women who served in the temple. Eli did not discipline his son's and everyone knew they were evil. This is the place Samuel was brought to be in the presence of God and to live for him. The ark of the covenant was in the temple. Samuel began to hear the LORD calling to him. At first he thought it was Eli. Eli told him to respond by saying, yes LORD, speak for I am your servant and I hear you.

1Sa 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.
1Sa 3:11 And the LORD said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle.
1Sa 3:12 In that day I will perform against Eli all things which I have spoken concerning his house: when I begin, I will also make an end.
1Sa 3:13 For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.
1Sa 3:14 And therefore I have sworn unto the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offering for ever.
1Sa 3:15 And Samuel lay until the morning, and opened the doors of the house of the LORD. And Samuel feared to shew Eli the vision.
1Sa 3:16 Then Eli called Samuel, and said, Samuel, my son. And he answered, Here am I.
1Sa 3:17 And he said, What is the thing that the LORD hath said unto thee? I pray thee hide it not from me: God do so to thee, and more also, if thou hide any thing from me of all the things that he said unto thee.
1Sa 3:18 And Samuel told him every whit, and hid nothing from him. And he said, It is the LORD: let him do what seemeth him good.

The young prophet Samuel had heard from the LORD. A prophet hears from the LORD and is to deliver the true message of God. Eli wanted to hear the truth and told Samuel to speak the truth. This is important for a prophet and a man of God. Samuel spoke what the LORD said to him, that Eli's son's would be killed and his family would be cursed because he did not restrain his sons.

There are many lessons here. One is that a man of God is to speak the truth of God. Too many are not speaking to discipline those in the house of God. They only allow sin and speak as if God will bless them anyways. I am not speaking this to the Pastors I know and love, but the churches are in danger of slack leadership. We are to speak the truth in concern for the family of God. We are also to live separated lives unto the LORD. Eli's son's had it all, but it was all of the flesh and God cursed them.

Last night I met a man in an Internet Bible chat who has stage 4 renal cancer. He was a blessing to all of us with his positive heart full of love and faith. He said that everyday was an opportunity to bless and to be led by the LORD. We prayed for his healing, and his soul is already healed. He is a man of faith with the spiritual presence of God. This was a truly blessed adopted son of the Father. Pray for John that he will be healed in body as well.  

No comments: