Monday, February 11, 2013

Betrayal




Mat 26:21 And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
Mat 26:22 And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?


Mat 26:33 Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended.
Mat 26:34 Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Mat 26:35 Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples.

Well we know that it was the disciple Judas Iscariot that betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver. Peter, like so many of us was sure that he would never betray Jesus. But, he did deny Jesus three times as the Master predicted. Peter was much grieved over his failure to keep his word, but in the end Jesus had forgiven him and given him a purpose to fulfill :" Feed my lambs and feed my sheep".

Joh 21:15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
Joh 21:16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
Joh 21:17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

There was no doubt between Peter and the Lord Jesus what he was called to do. Yes, he had failed Jesus in the past, probably because he thought he could fulfill his promise by self will alone. Jesus forgave him and would give him the power to do his will through the Holy Spirit. We cannot serve God in our own power. Many are gifted to influence minds and to sway people in their own will. No, this is not acceptable to God. We must surrender all to Jesus and he will give us his spirit to be able to fulfill his mission. In the end we want to hear "well done thou good and faithful servant".

Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

We do not want to serve him only by our own craft and have him say to us, "depart from me."

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

What had they failed to do? They had not gone through the only way to be saved, through the door gate that is Jesus.

Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
Luk 13:25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
Luk 13:26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
Luk 13:27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
Luk 13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
Luk 13:29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.
Luk 13:30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.
 
Jesus came first to Israel, but upon their rejection of him he lastly invited the Gentiles to enter the kingdom through Jesus the Messiah., Finally, all Israel shall be saved at his coming. It was to Israel that he said" Rom 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance".

Were you like Peter, denying him and ashamed of your failure? Come to Jesus, he will forgive you and he will give you a calling to fulfill. We are called to fulfill his purpose.

No comments: