Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Healing Verse

Exo 15:26 And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.

Often we hear this verse, especially the last part: "I am the LORD that healeth thee". Proper understanding of the Bible is to understand the passage in it's context. The message was to the people of Israel who were newly freed from Egyptian slavery and who were learning to obey the LORD. The LORD requires faith and obedience.

If we apply the verse and that promise of healing for today as the people of God under the New Covenant, we still should examine the conditions of the promise.

1. If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God
2. Will do what is right in his sight.
3. Give ear to his commandments
4. Keep his statutes

We must read the word of God, listen in the Spirit and obey all that God says to do. We are under the covenant of grace, but these were commands of God given through Moses who would bring about a covenant of law. Pardon me for saying this, but I do not see Christians being all that aware of what God wants. Under grace we are free, but the truth is we are to be bond slaves of Jesus. A slave must obey the master. Jesus loves us and calls us friends, but did you see the rest of his verse? Let's read it.

John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Let's be true friends of Jesus and obey him.

No comments: