Monday, December 14, 2015

First Love


Rev 2:2  I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
Rev 2:3  And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
Rev 2:4  Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

It would appear to most that the church at Ephesus was doing well, but Jesus warns them, that they have left their first love. Let's look at another scripture passage.

Mat 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

In this section we see prophesy, casting out devils in the name of Jesus and wonderful works; and yet Jesus said, depart from me...I never knew you. It was all done apart from an intimate relationship with the Lord. Jesus did nothing without first going to the father in prayer. These others appear to be busy, but not in contact with the father. They were doing everything by their own abilities. They were not one with the LORD in his will and purpose. One friend mentioned the story of Martha and Mary. Martha was very busy, but Mary set at the feet of Jesus. Mary was commended for her drawing near to the Lord and hearing him.

Tozer said that love is an act of the will, not just emotions. I will serve God, I will be faithful. But, we must take time to hear from God to trust in him. Have we forgotten who and how we were when we came to Jesus? We were needy and dependant on him. He was everything, God was everything to me. Now do we just do everything by our own will and thoughts? The spirit in you shows you things and guides you in all truth. Do not forget your first love. We cannot take the place that only belongs to Jesus.

Mat 22:37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 
Mat 22:38  This is the first and great commandment. 
Mat 22:39  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 

 I would like to hear your thoughts on this topic. Send to Superragman@aol.com.



No comments: