Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Excuse me

In Israel in Deuteronomy  there were reasons given by which a man may be excused from military service.  The end result is that those who were not committed to service, would be excused. God was able to defeat the enemy without those who were double minded and not fully committed to service. 


 Deu 20:5  Then the officers shall speak to the people, saying, ‘Is there any man who has built a new house and has not dedicated it? Let him go back to his house, lest he die in the battle and another man dedicate it. 

Deu 20:6  And is there any man who has planted a vineyard and has not enjoyed its fruit? Let him go back to his house, lest he die in the battle and another man enjoy its fruit. 

Deu 20:7  And is there any man who has betrothed a wife and has not taken her? Let him go back to his house, lest he die in the battle and another man take her.’ 

Deu 20:8  And the officers shall speak further to the people, and say, ‘Is there any man who is fearful and fainthearted? Let him go back to his house, lest he make the heart of his fellows melt like his own.’ 


These scriptures reminded me of scriptures in the New Testament where people were making excuse for not coming to a banquet. The banquet was about the chosen having fellowship with God. Jesus came unto his chosen people, the Jews first. Many were making excuses for not coming to the feast which was a parable about those missing their salvation provided by God through his son, Jesus Christ.


Luke 14:16  Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many: 

Luk 14:17  And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready. 

Luk 14:18  And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused. 

Luk 14:19  And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused. 

Luk 14:20  And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come. 

Luk 14:21  So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.


Luk 14:24  For I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste my banquet.’” 


The Jews were too distracted by things to come and receive of their God.


Luke 13:34  O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! 


No comments: