Wednesday, July 3, 2019

What We Practice

1Ki 11:9  And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice 
1Ki 11:10  and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods. But he did not keep what the LORD commanded. 
1Ki 11:11  Therefore the LORD said to Solomon, “Since this has been your practice and you have not kept my covenant and my statutes that I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant. 
1Ki 11:12  Yet for the sake of David your father I will not do it in your days, but I will tear it out of the hand of your son. 

To practice something is to learn to do something better. It is something we do consistantly. A Physician practices medicine. When I practice music, it  is to become familiar with it, so that it comes from my heart.

Solomon had turned his heart away from serving the one true God. His wives had other gods and he became obsessed with them. It would be better to have one wife who served the one true God, being united in faith.  Solomon asked for wisdom and then he left wisdom to be tempted by women and their false gods. Perhaps he was only trying to please his many wives? Maybe Adam was only trying to please his wife, Eve when he followed her in partaking of the forbidden fruit?

We claim to be Christians and that is good. What do we practice? What takes most of our attention and time?

1Co 9:22  To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. 
1Co 9:23  I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings. 
1Co 9:24  Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 
1Co 9:25  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 
1Co 9:26  So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 
1Co 9:27  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. 

I do not want to be disqualified as a servant of Christ.  We must practice His presence in our life and be obedient adopted sons of God. If you are a woman you can be a daughter of God.  We all will be the bride of Christ. Let's not get caught up in gender identity. Being identified as a Christian is good, so we are to practice reading his word and prayer. Our actions are to please our LORD.

No comments: