Sunday, October 22, 2017

The Elect Kyria


2Jn 1:1  The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth; 
2Jn 1:2  For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever. 

The elder is in reference to the writer of the epistle, John the elder. It is believed that he was old in age at this time being close to one hundred years old. The word elder, is also a designation of a bishop, the overseer of a church. John is also the beloved apostle that the Lord loved. 

Just who the elect lady is we are not sure of. It was a person because he refers to her in verse twelve as a face to face person; 2Jn1:12..."but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full."

In the commentary of John Gill; the Greek word for "lady" is "Kyria". Proper names often have meanings, especially in the Bible times. This is interesting to me because I knew a lady named Kira who was saved through our Internet ministry. She was an elect lady with many "children", those she led to the Lord. As the elder Gary, I write to her memory, hoping that someday we will exchange letters and even meet face to face. If not on this side of glory, for sure we shall meet in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ. There is coming a meeting time for me and my wife, my folks, Kira and her children, my brothers and sisters in Christ on the day of his coming. What a day that will be.




No comments: