Saturday, September 10, 2016

Achieving Discipline


I was almost thirty when I decided to go to college. I was not much of a student in high school, I just got by. Something happened after high school; an illness and a meeting with the Lord. I was born again and all things become new. I saw the blossoms on the nectarine tree and marvelled at their beauty. My eyes were opened to see. I could hear with discernment. Upon returning to college full time I learned that to be a good learner required discipline. I knew the path to the refrigerator, but to sit and study, this required discipline. How easy it is to do nothing but seek pleasure, but to get somewhere requires vision, determination, and discipline. College was inexpensive in the mid to late 1960's. There was a war going on, one in Vietnam and another in the hearts and minds of the people. The freedom to go to college at an affordable time was abused by many who became protesters of the war, seeking freedom of speech they bullied their way changing college studies into popular causes, black studies, women's rights and it continued until now it is gay studies, transexuals in womens showers etc. The broad way seeks the easy way, the mobs way, the way of pleasure, sex, drugs, alcohol. I was not involved in any of that as a 30 something, student. The point is, to amount to something requires discipline under a wise teacher. My teacher is Jesus and I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. 

Pro 5:21  For a man's ways are before the eyes of the LORD, and he ponders all his paths. 
Pro 5:22  The iniquities of the wicked ensnare him, and he is held fast in the cords of his sin. 
Pro 5:23  He dies for lack of discipline, and because of his great folly he is led astray. 

Follow God and keep going.

No comments: