Wednesday, June 1, 2011

People Pleaser

1 Sam 15:24 And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice.
1 Sam 15:25 Now therefore, I pray thee, pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD.
1 Sam 15:26 And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel.

Saul was told to utterly destroy the Amalekites and their livestock because of their transgression against Israel when they were returning from Egypt. The Amaliites were descendants of Esau. Because Saul did not obey the LORD completely, he lost the Holy Spirit anointing of God. Samuel would be sent to make another king. The anointing of the LORD would be given to a lowly shepherd boy named David.

Saul said that he allowed the people to take animals for sacrificing as well as King Agag of Amalek, because he feared the people. He wanted to please the people, more than to obey God. Is this not the sin of many of the churches as well? Instead of pleasing God by feeding the sheep the word of God, they speak easy words to please the people.

2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2 Tim 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

We need people like Jeremiah the prophet who faithfully spoke the commands of the LORD.

Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
Jer 1:6 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.
Jer 1:7 But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.
Jer 1:8 Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD.
Jer 1:9 Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth.
Jer 1:10 See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.

He served God, not man. Are we people pleasers like Saul? Or dedicated servants like Jeremiah? LORD make us your faithful servants. May our lives be for your glory and your service. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments: