Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Kind Man

Psa 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

A very gentle and kind man who owned a five and dime store recently had a minor stroke. I saw him in the Rehab place where my wife is; he has always been friendly and congenial to everyone, but to my knowledge, he never went to church . I visited him today and he was glad to see me. I said to him that we were playing music in the dining hall; I will come and listen, he responded.

Our music books are large print of the old hymns. The kind old gentleman came into the hall in his wheelchair we gave him a hymn book of the old hymns. We played "Amazing Grace", a song all are familiar with. Our service is only for thirty minutes, we prayed, we had music and had a short gospel message; All have sinned, no one is perfect in God's eyes, but God sent Jesus to pay for our sins on that cross. Believe in the name of Jesus and receive everlasting life with God. I certainly did not want to speak harshly to this kind old friend of our community, but he also needed to hear that Jesus gives us the hope of eternal life, a higher purpose than this life.

Do we treat everyone with the same love and respect that I had for this dear man? We should love all who are not yet the children of God, treat them special, but also give them the hope of Jesus Christ. The music was sincere and as pure as we could play it. His heart may respond to music more than the message, but both are useful in our witness. My ministry friend invited him back again next week. Tears came to the man's eyes, what a sweet man, from a store out of the fifties, displaced, but hopefully found.

The afflictions of this life, the remorse of loosing a long time business, the feeling of worthlessness that often comes at forced retirement can bring stress and perhaps a stroke. May this be a time to bring him to a meeting place with the savior; LORD may he be moved and may he receive your grace, in Jesus name, amen.

No comments: