Saturday, January 22, 2011

Servants

Luke 17:7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
Luke 17:8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
Luke 17:9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
Luke 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

We are servants in the master's kingdom. Not many people have servants unless they are wealthy, but we work in service to others. Most importantly we are servants of the Lord in all that we do. Do you see that it is expected of the servant to be faithful? to do his work? This is the duty of a servant and it is expected. We do not need to be praised for simple obedience, it is expected.

One summer many years ago I went to Mexico City for summer school at the university. I stayed in a boarding house. In the house were servant girls who waited on our dinner table. When I would thank them for serving me, they would say "por nada or de nada", for nothing, of nothing. They were humble unprofitable servants as described in this verse.

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Our master is good to us and we may ask him anything according to his will and we will receive it. Let's not get things reversed. God is not to serve us. He is not to come running for every desire that we have. However if we are in need, in peril and under spiritual oppression, then by all means cry out to God, cry out to your Lord JESUS!. He will send angels to help you. We are more than servants, we are friends, if we keep his commands..

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

We are friends who are to obey and to do the will of God; this is our reasonable service. Our reward is eternal life as joint heirs with Jesus Christ. Hell has torment, life with Christ Jesus is heavenly joy and peace. I believe we will continue to be willing bondservants in the master's house. He owns us through the Holy Spirit and we were purchased by the blood of the Lamb, to be in close fellowship as the spiritual bride of Christ. In Christ we shall be together in shared love forever, amen.

No comments: