Thursday, September 7, 2023

A Lamp



During our trip to the ocean I read a book, "Bonhoeffer", by Eric Metaxes. Bonhoeffer lived in the time of the rise to power of the Nazi's in Germany. Hitler used cruelty and force, but the people believed in him. The church supported him, changing their messages to favor the new movement. Bonhoeffer was not going along with this. He spoke and taught the light and truth of God's word. It would cost him his life. Are we willing to die for the truth? Will we live for it?


John 12:46  I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. 

John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 

John 12:48  He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. 


What is the light spoken of here? Is it not the word of God, his truth? How do we live in the light, in the truth of God? We are to believe Jesus who has died for our sins. To remain in darkness is to not believe in God and the forgiveness offered through his son. Jesus saves us from our sins. It is the work of God as we respond by faith. What are we to do with this good news of the light of God, and His saving us from our sins? We are his lamps, his light to those in darkness. Don't hide this lamp.


Mark 4:21  And he said to them, “Is a lamp brought in to be put under a basket, or under a bed, and not on a stand? 


If the light is going out in America it is because people have not heard or have rejected the simple truth that we cannot go to heaven by our own efforts. Faith in the work of Jesus who died in our place is the way. May the lamps grow brighter in America.  


Prayer: Father in heaven, I believe that Jesus is the light of the world, my savior. I ask that many will believe in him and receive eternal life. He is our victory, amen.


No comments: