Sunday, April 26, 2020

Huz and Buz


Gen 22:20  And it came to pass after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, Behold, Milcah, she hath also born children unto thy brother Nahor; 
Gen 22:21  Huz his firstborn, and Buz his brother, and Kemuel the father of Aram, 
Gen 22:22  And Chesed, and Hazo, and Pildash, and Jidlaph, and Bethuel. 
Gen 22:23  And Bethuel begat Rebekah: these eight Milcah did bear to Nahor, Abraham's brother. 

My attention goes to Huz and Buz. Such unusual names, but first, what is happening in this story? Abraham had returned from Mt. Moriah, also called  "Jehovahjireh, Jehovah will see," where the LORD had sent him to sacrifice his only son, Isaac. The LORD provided a ram for a sacrifice and was pleased that Abraham was obedient to him. The LORD gave to him covenant promises, the Abrahamic Covenant.

 Abraham's brother was Nahor and his wife Milcah, who had born eight sons. The firstborn was Huz, meaning "wooded". The second son was Buz, meaning "contempt". I wonder what made them name their son contempt? I think of the buzzing of a bee or perhaps a mosquito? Perhaps Buz was born and not planned. There are many like that, but God has a plan for them.  The last son of Nahor and Milcah was Bethuel, meaning  "God destroys" or "man of God" or "dweller in God". In the choices of names, the last shall be first, in my opinion.  Bethuel was the father of Rebekah, who would become the wife of Isaac, the promised son of Abraham and Sarah in their old age. Isaac and Rebekah would have twins; Esau the father of the Arab nations and Jacob who would be named Israel, the people of God's promises.

I see that we may be drawn to the Huz and Buz sounds of life, but we should look for the better things; to be a man or woman of God or a dweller in God.

Psa 63:3  Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. 
Psa 63:4  So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands. 


No comments: