Thursday, September 7, 2017

Faithful to Your Calling


Saul who had been a persecutor of the church had a visitation from Jesus. He became the great and faithful apostle Paul.  He was faithful to his call to preach the gospel (that Jesus is God's son who came as a human to  offer his blood up for the atonement of our sins. He died and is risen to eternal life. He offers us forgiveness of sins and eternal life through believing in him.) His calling was to share the good news to the Gentiles and also to the Jews.

1Co 9:16  For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! 
1Co 9:17  For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me. 
1Co 9:18  What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. 
1Co 9:19  For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 

The prophet Jeremiah was called from the womb to be the voice of warning to God's people. He suffered much abuse because they would not hear the truth; but he kept on in the face of opposition.

Jer 20:7  O LORD, you have deceived me, and I was deceived; you are stronger than I, and you have prevailed. I have become a laughingstock all the day; everyone mocks me. 
Jer 20:8  For whenever I speak, I cry out, I shout, "Violence and destruction!" For the word of the LORD has become for me a reproach and derision all day long. 
Jer 20:9  If I say, "I will not mention him, or speak any more in his name," there is in my heart as it were a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I am weary with holding it in, and I cannot. 
Jer 20:10  For I hear many whispering. Terror is on every side! "Denounce him! Let us denounce him!" say all my close friends, watching for my fall. "Perhaps he will be deceived; then we can overcome him and take our revenge on him." 
Jer 20:11  But the LORD is with me as a dread warrior; therefore my persecutors will stumble; they will not overcome me. They will be greatly shamed, for they will not succeed. Their eternal dishonor will never be forgotten. 

As a man Jeremiah looked for vengeance towards his persecutors. Jesus proved his calling of a human who was also the Son of God from heaven. His response to his tormentors, even from the place of his torture was grace; "Luke 23:34  And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." And they cast lots to divide his garments."  Jesus offered forgiveness from the cross and even while dying he bore fruit, for a thief repented   "Luke 23:42  And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." 
Luke 23:43  And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."

I appeal to you as a believer in Jesus Christ to be faithful to your calling. Jesus came not to curse and destroy, but to seek and to save that which was lost. (Luke 19:10) Do not quit but be still and listen to God. Feel the burning desire to be faithful to your calling. Get busy and do the work you were created to do. I have a friend called Susyshines who has remained faithful to share God's word, even from a raging storm. Life will have it's storms and people will be looking for hope. You keep going and show them their hope is in Jesus, their savior from sin and death. Well done faithful servant.

No comments: